RESPECT 4 Neurodevelopment stands for Responsible, Reliable, Scalable and Personalised Neurotechnologies for infants and children with neurodevelopmental conditions.
RESPECT 4 Neurodevelopment is a EPSRC/ MRC funded UKRI-Network Plus that started in September 2022 and will be funded until August 2025. For the first time, this new network gives us the opportunity to build an inclusive, multi-disciplinary community to make transformative changes in developing child-specific neurotechnologies for the clinic or home. Our network aims to bring together:
- Families and people with lived experience who advise on the requirements, priorities and concerns from users so to ensure that the neurotechnologies we develop are desired, responsible, and ethical;
- Bioengineers and physicists from academia and industry working on a range of next generation neuroimaging, wearable and portable technologies (but may have limited access to families and professionals who will use their technologies),
- Neuroscientists, psychologists, psychiatrists, paediatricians,and clinicians working on early brain development and neurodevelopmental conditions who need these technologies for early detection, personalised support, therapies or monitoring (but may not be aware of cutting-edge advances),
- Ethicists and legal experts to consider the ethical and legal issues arising from this new field,
- Health care providers, regulators and policy makers who advise about the requirements for approval of new technologies, and their implementation in the health care system.